Friday, September 24, 2010

Dear Abby....

I'm in need of some advice.  Please leave a comment if you've got any.

Joey will be (almost) 3 years old when her baby sister gets here.

Although she is really excited that she's getting a baby sister, we're concerned that she might resent the baby for taking away our attention and engage in disruptive or attention-getting behavior.  It's inevitable that she will do things to get our attention once the new baby is here, but I'd prefer if it didn't happen all the time.

How did you prepare your child for a new sibling?  I'd also love suggestions for books and/or videos that you've used.

2 comments:

  1. Joey has plenty of baby dolls, but I'd like to get her a special one that she'll get at the hospital. I also plan on making her a nursing cover and a sling like the ones I plan to use. Then she'll have her own special baby to take care of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren. Hastin was the same age when Max was born. We bought him a special toy and tried to make him feel included. He came to the hospital and visited us and I would often ask for his help while doing baby things ("Will you please bring Mommy the diaper" etc. That sort of thing). I made a point to tell him what a great big brother he was all the time and carve out time for us to spend together doing "big boy" things.
    I think the idea of the baby doll and accessories is a great idea.
    I never had a problem with Hastin acting out after Max was born. Maybe that is due to his temperament or something we did, I don't know. I think you are on the right track! Let me know if you need any help!
    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails